Our New Home

Our New Home
Our New Home

Monday, February 7, 2011

Not a Boring Day at All - Lots to Report

Kyle and Jill with a saddle on for the first time
Jack checking out the saddle
I know I wasn't going to blog again unless I had something to report but ... The day started out just like it did the day before; the dogs barking early in the morning and Dave coming out to check.  I don't know what he's so worried about. Jack's little accident & my little episode of 'choking' yesterday isn't enough reason to come out and check on us @ 6:45am!!  But since we were awake and it was getting light out Jack and I decided to venture away from the barn and check things out a little.  We went down the hill and saw two really big barns but no horses.  I hear they have competitions here when the weather is nice and there are 70 horses in those barns and more who come in trailers!  Wow that's a lot of horses!  Anyway we decided to take a little trot & then a canter up the hill.  The snow wasn't quite as crunchy as it was a few days ago so we decided to do it again.  It was a lot of fun; we can't wait until the ground is good enough for some serious racing!!  I bet I'm faster than Jack!!
     Then it was time to come in for breakfast.  After Jackie got done cleaning stalls she went in Jack's stall with the rubber fingers for grooming and then sprayed some stuff in his tail to make it easier to get the burrs out.  It took so long I was hoping that she would still have time for me.  Finally it was my turn and while I was getting groomed I got good news. My mom, Ask for the Stars aka Jackie, found a new home with Kate Doty, a good friend of Lynn's.  It's been awhile since I've seen my mom but I was a little worried about her as she's getting up there in years.  Such a relief!
     Jackie (the person not the horse) had to cut my grooming short to answer the phone.  It turns out that Jack & I are kind of famous for some reason and some radio show called Horses in the Morning  wants Jackie to be a guest on the show to talk about how all of Doc's horses found homes and talk about Jack & me. Pretty cool huh?  So I'm suppose to tell everyone to log on to www.horsesinthemorning.com this Fri at 9:15
     So we thought this was enough excitement for the day but then Kyle came out and after he cleaned the turnout stall he decided that it was time to put a saddle on us.  I'm not so sure about that, there's still a lot of snow on the ground, no need to rush things I say, but  Kyle wouldn't listen.  That's a guy for you isn't it? He picked out an old but very light weight saddle with a large girth that he promised not to put on too tight.  He was very patient and let me check out everything first and it was no big deal.  The next thing I know he leaves me alone in the stall with the saddle on and comes back with Jackie and she starts taking pictures.  I think I look pretty good with a saddle on but next time I'd like a different pad, green isn't my color. Jack was next.  He was little more nervous than I was but he was pretty good too.
     If that wasn't enough, the we found out that there is going to be a competition for young horses at the farm this spring that Jack & I are going to be in it.  We don't even have to wear saddles!  It sounds really boring though, something about walking around a small triangle and then trotting around a big triangle and standing still while a judge checks us out to see if she thinks we're going to be good event  horses.  I keep hearing about this 'eventing' thing but this competition doesn't sound like it has anything to do with eventing.  Maybe they'll let me race Jack up the hill, now that sounds like a competition!
     Later...  

Jill

I'm feeling much better today and I'm really starting to like all the attention and the rubber fingers but I need to learn a few rules.  I guess it isn't allowable to bang at the door with my foot to get attention.  I'm told that I'll get attention but not the type I'm looking for. Not sure what Jackie means by that, but I don't think I want to find out.   So I'm sticking to the hanging my head over the door and looking cute and hope she sees me and comes over and rubs my head.  So far it seems to be working.
      It's suppose to be cold tonight, maybe the dogs won't be up so early tomorrow barking and waking us up.
Well we can hope can't we?

Jack

3 comments:

  1. oh i love your updates! so glad the mom horse has found a forever home. such good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the pics - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. We'll keep updating as long as people are interested.

    ReplyDelete