Our New Home

Our New Home
Our New Home

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We Got Our First Pedicure Today

After a few weeks of practicing picking up our feet Jackie decided that it was time for us to have a visit from the farrier ( that must be what they call someone takes care of horses' feet ).  Margee got her feet done first and then it was Jack's turn.  They were in the wash rack which is right next to my stall but I couldn't see what was going on because of a tall wall between my stall and the wash rack, but I could hear what was going on.  Walt, the farrier, seemed like a nice guy and he was talking to Jackie and said that he would take it real slow so as to not make Jack nervous.  I heard a lot of good boys and only once did I hear that Jack pulled his foot away.  When Walt was done they remarked at how much better his feet looked after Walt  took the flair off.  Don't ask me what that means, but they say in a couple of more trimmings his feet should be in good shape.  Before I knew it Jack was done and it was my turn.

I was a little excited when I got in the wash rack but Dave had a great idea to calm me down ... he went straight for the sweet spot and scratched.  Yeah, it worked.  Anyway Walt picked up my feet and put them between his legs like Kyle practiced with me and then snipped my feet to trim them and then finished then up with a giant nail file called a rasp.  Jackie kept rubbing my head and telling me I was a good girl and when I tried to pull my feet a little Walt would make some silly joke and everyone laughed.  Before I knew it I was done and for a reward Dave gave me an extra long scratch on the sweet spot.  Life is good!!


I heard Jackie and Dave talking with Walt and he was happy with how well we behaved and said that we should be pretty easy to train.  Then he said something about putting shoes on us when we start getting ridden.  Whoa baby, one thing at a time please!  But he is right, we are good students.  Who wouldn't want to be?  All you have to do is follow a few simple instructions and remember what you learned the day before and they make a big fuss over you.  I like it ;)

Jill

I only have a little to add.  Walt seems like a really nice guy and I appreciate that he didn't get mad at me when I pulled  my foot away when the rasp tickled my foot. Jackie kept rubbing my forehead and telling me I was a good boy and I didn't pull my foot away again.  I think I would do almost anything for the good boys and getting my my forehead rubbed  ;)

After Walt left Jackie put me back in the wash rack for some serious grooming.  My hair is really shedding and Jackie used something called a shedding blade and it felt sooooooo good.  I hope she uses it again tomorrow.

Since Walt was here today all of the horses were in the barn at the same time which meant that I got to visit with Tintin since I just got moved to a stall next to him. He reached his head over the partition and started scratching and licking me.  I'm not quite sure why he was doing it, but it was kind of nice.  Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all.

I hear Kyle and Jackie may be putting up a round pen soon and that Jill and I are going to start our training in there.  I'm not sure what that's all about but so far so good and if it means more good boys and rubbing my forehead; I'm good.

Jack

3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have been reading every post and I look forward to more. Absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're enjoying their blog. Hopefully we'll be able to start their training soon. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. Be sure to share the blog with your friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what Jill and Jack have to say about training!

    ReplyDelete