Our New Home

Our New Home
Our New Home

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Jack & Jill Go Their Separate Ways

Wow, I can't believe that it has been almost 10 days since we posted last.  With the nicer weather everyone has been a little busier especially Jack.  I kept hearing about Jack doing this and Jack doing that and it was getting a little annoying; I could do all that stuff too if Kyle just had the time to do it.  So last Sun I showed them all.  I worked in the round pen with a saddle on while there were three ponies in the ring right next to the round pen without getting distracted.  Well maybe a little but there were three of them and they didn't look like any horses I had ever seen before. First of all they were all small and odd colors; one was black and white, one had spots all over it (I hear they call that one a POA, what does Ponies of America have to do with spots anyway?) and one chestnut pony with a pretty almost white mane and tail, I think they call that flaxen. Jack has never done that before.  Then when we were done I followed Kyle up and down the bank jump and into the water jump and I did it three times and Jack only did it once!  So maybe Jack is getting more training time than me, but I don't need it because I learn quicker and I don't get worried like Jack sometimes does.

The other day Jack laid down in his stall and rolled and rolled until he got cast.  I couldn't see what was going on but it sure was noisy. Jack &  Jackie both seemed a little concerned and she was happy that Jack was able to take care of things on his own. I don't think that would ever happen to me so because I'm smart enough to roll in the middle of my stall.

We all got something called coggins test the other day.  I'm not too sure what it's for but I hear we need to have it done and then a couple of days later we got vaccinations to help keep us from getting sick.  It wasn't bad, just a prick and I was told I was a good girl.  I don't know what the deal was with Jack but things didn't seem to go  smoothly for the coggins test and things got  down right ugly for his shot a couple of days later. Dr. Dave sounded really irritated and was making some comment about Jack being the instigator of our late night escapes and then said that Jack could go if he kept that up. Go, go where? What did that have to do with getting a shot anyway?  I don't know, but Jackie definitely wasn't happy with that comment.

Up until that morning we had always been very careful to be back in the pasture by morning and we only did it a few times.  Unfortunately for us they came out to the barn earlier than usual that day and we were busted as we hadn't snuck back in yet. That's when I heard that since Jack was the instigator he had to learn to respect the fence and that he and I were not going to go out together anymore so we couldn't get into trouble.  I thought that last part was a little extreme but at least I got to stay with Kat & Margee.  I do feel kind of sorry for Jack though.  He doesn't seem very happy being out with the big boys.  Don't tell him I said so, but I kind of miss him. 

On a brighter note; our Jockey Club papers arrived in the mail today! So it's finally officially official if you know what I mean.

Hope it warms up a little, it's suppose to be spring isn't it?!

Jill


I think Jill is a little jealous because she hasn't been able to go for walks around the whole farm like me. It really is nice and I even got to go into the woods some more. I was much better about crossing the stream the second time and other than almost jumping on Jackie as I cleared the stream; I was walking right up there next to her, not behind her like I usually do.  We even practiced jogging in hand a little.  She said that I need to do that for the Future Event Horse class in May.  Since it is a class for future event horses I wonder if I get to show them how I can step right up and off the bank jump and go right into the water.  Jackie said something about Lucinda being impressed.  I guess she's some famous event rider who comes here for clinics every year and she has horses practice walking up and down banks just like I did but with riders on them.  I got to do the bank and the water jump again on Sun and it is a lot of fun.  I don't know what the big deal is.

Since it was a nice day and all the big boys were out in the pasture Jackie turned me out with them for a couple of hours.  It wasn't bad until they all decided to come back up to eat at the round bale that things got uncomfortable. They still aren't very nice to me and I decided the best thing to do would be to blast through the ribbon gate and just leave. Once I got out there all by myself I didn't know what to do so I just ran and ran and suddenly it hit me, I'm all by myself and I don't know where I am.  I managed to find my way back and just as Jackie was rounding the corner of the barn I ducked under the fence back into the pasture & she put be back in the barn.  Whew!!

Since I discovered that  it was pretty easy to blast through the bottom ribbon and duck under the top one Jill and I snuck out a few nights while Jackie was out of town.  Somehow Kyle knew we had gotten out.  He said something about leaving evidence in the back yard.  Anyway he put up metal gates and we stayed in until the other night and that was when we got busted.  Then we had the disagreement about the shot and then I heard something about learning respect for the fence  Somehow that fence that I usually just blast through zapped me when I put my nose on it.  I jumped back and trotted away.  I couldn't believe what just happened so I thought I would check it out again and I got zapped again. I decided that I better just stay away from the fence but that apparently wasn't good enough.  Jill and I aren't allowed to go out together anymore because we were getting into too much trouble together.  Not good, not good at all.  Thank goodness the training went well to save the day.
 
Today is the second full day out with the big boys and things aren't going much better.  Pip will play with me a little, Gopher usually ignores me,  Tintin sometimes chases me with his ears back and Jethro, well lets just say that Jethro is the boss for a reason.  So I spend most of the time but myself and hanging around the barn in hopes that I can go back in.  When the horses go out in the pasture I go over to the round bale and eat while I can.  Laura came out to ride Kat & I just had to give her a little nicker when I saw her and then I stood on top of the hill and watched her as she was ridden.  I can't believe I miss that cute little mare.

Jackie assures me that I will eventually make a friend or two and that things will get better when Jethro leaves in a couple of weeks.  They say he's going out for trial to see if someone wants to lease him.  Here's hoping that he won't be coming back.

Any way, the training was interesting today.  Jackie used two lunge lines on me today.  She called it long lining or something like that.  At first it was a little confusing and I almost got tangled up a couple of times but then I got the hang of it and I was trotting around the round pen and changing direction at the trot and being told that I was a good boy.  I like that ;)

One more thing, I don't know what Jill was talking about me being cast the other day;  I just got kind of stuck when I was rolling and I had to push against the wall really hard with me feet so I could get up.  Yeah it was a little noisy and to be honest with you I was a little afraid that I wouldn't be able to get unstuck, but I managed to figure it out.

I hope Jackie has time to take me for another long walk again; I really enjoy those walks.  Besides that; it will get me away from the big boy for awhile. 

Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment